Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 12, 2013

A Pox on Your House!

I'm working from home for the next two weeks because our school has the pox.

Chicken pox to be more specific.  It's been spreading throughout the kindergarten for awhile now, but that didn't really worry us because I have virtually no contact with those kids.  And then we found out there were several cases in the middle school.  The same middle school I'm currently running standardized testing for. So I've been instructed to avoid the kiddies and work from home.

I'm only 3 weeks away from starting my maternity leave, it seems a bit silly.  But at the same time, it's much better to be safe than sorry.  Although it's unlikely I would catch the chicken pox again, if I did it could be very dangerous for me and the baby, especially since I'm so close to popping.

So I'm home, still waking up at 6, but I get to stay in my sweatpants and Cleo doesn't have to get locked up.  She's in heaven.

The funny thing is, I was really looking forward to these next few weeks at work.  Map Testing is so busy that the days fly by. Now that I'm stuck at home it feels like the last month of baby brewing might drag very slowly.

We are so ready to meet our little man. The other night Ryan had his first dream where the baby was born and he got to hold him.  Waking up from that to realize the baby is still out of reach is a bit frustrating.  I should know, I experience it just about every night.  Though I do prefer those dreams to the ones where I'm nursing rabbits or being chased by robots.  Seriously, pregnancy dreams are weird and exhausting.

At our ultrasound last week we learned a couple of important things.  Baby weighs almost 6 lbs, is "breathing" which means his lungs are working (score!), his testicles have descended, so he's definitely still a boy and won't need any help in the ball department when he's born.  And he's in an oblique position.

Everything else the doctor had said up till that point was followed with a nod and a smile, but that last point made her frown.

Basically the little guy is in an awkward position.  He's head down and facing the right direction, but he's lying diagonally, instead of vertically.  So that's why my belly always looks lopsided!  When Ryan and I looked at the Dr. with our stupid faces, she proceeded to draw a little picture of the uterus and where our baby is located.  In the water balloon that is my uterus, the baby's head is at an angle to the opening, which makes a natural birth impossible since he can't come out shoulder first.  Luckily there's still a chance he'll shift in the next few weeks, though it's getting harder for him to move in there now that space is running out.

So the deadline has pretty much been set.  We have another ultrasound in 2 weeks, when I'm 38 weeks.  If he's shifted and in the proper position then all systems are go and we wait for the big day like everyone else.  But if he's still oblique then we'll need to arrange for a C-section and our June bug becomes a May baby.

Think vertical!  :)

3 comments: