Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Reptile


rep·tile   [rep-til, -tahyl]
noun
1. any cold-blooded vertebrate of the class Reptilia, comprising the turtles, snakes, lizards, crocodilians, amphisbaenians,tuatara, and various extinct members including the dinosaurs.
2. (loosely) any of various animals that crawl or creep.
3. a groveling, mean, or despicable person.


Reptiles freak me out... anyone else? Lizards aren't so bad, but snakes make me want to curl up in a ball and die. It's probably a mix of nature and nurture, because my mom is terrified of snakes too. Living in Florida makes that a bit of an issue, since it's snake central.

She once told me that if she ever came into the house and there was a snake chilling somewhere, she'd move and never come back. As wild and crazy as that sounds I really understand what she means. How would you ever really know that it was gone, and didn't have babies in your closet? The thought of something slithering across my skin as I sleep makes my whole body clench.

So what's the deal? Why are reptiles so exciting and amazing for some and complete panic attack subjects for others?

Tomorrow's letter is S and the word I chose at random is 8 letters and starts with ST.  

6 comments:

  1. I live in terror of running into snakes b/c I live in the desert. Rattlenakes scare the crap out of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried about that with living in Egypt, but I haven't seen a single snake since we moved here. I saw at least 5 a week living in Florida. Who knew!

      Delete
  2. A great R post although I don't like reptiles.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a pet ball python. She's very sweet. I live in Florida, so lizards running around everywhere are normal and I love seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like snakes, they are cool looking and their skin is the most mesmerizing thing ever. Now, my girls are in LOVE with chameleons, basically because Rapunzel has one, but they even like to touch them and have them on their shoulders. There's a pet store close to my house where they can pet a few of the animals and they want to go there almost everyday. LOL

    From Diary of a Writer in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like snakes but I don't know how well I'd cope if I found one chilling in my house.

    ReplyDelete